This might sound like a minor project, but we hope it will make a huge difference in comfort and happiness this cruising season!
The settees in our salon are like the couch in your family room – where we spend most of our time on the boat. We sit there to eat our meals, watch movies, read books, and often one of us will sleep there when the small V-berth in the forward cabin feels too cramped for two adult humans or gets too hot. The upholstery of the cushions was in pretty good condition last season, but the foam had definitely reached end of life. Our bums were hitting plywood pretty much all the time, and we definitely sunk into the most over used spots!
I researched getting new cushions made, but (as with anything boat-specific) it was CRAZY expensive. So we decided to clean the upholstery and replace the foam in the seats. Sounds simple, but it turned into a multi-week project….
Step 1 – Clean the Upholstery
These cushions have definitely seen some use! And the ones in the cabin were victims of that pesky salt water leak last season with all the stickiness and funky smells that entails. So I took the covers to a dry cleaner for some serious cleaning. But they turned me away. Said that the material, especially the breathable back panel wouldn’t survive the process. Back to the drawing board and to my good friend Google and I decided to rent one of those upholstery cleaners from Home Depot. Luckily, we were still living in a rental apartment with plenty of floor space to spread out, so after three trips in my little VW convertible with cushions sticking out the windows, we were good to go.
Capt. Mike is trigger happy.
What do you do with this many couch cushions? Build a fort of course!
Wow, the upholstery was dirtier than I thought. Gross!
Step 2 – Order Foam
Where do you go to buy foam? Foamonline.com of course. Who knew there were so many different kinds, thicknesses, quality levels, and styles of foam. Fascinating. (Not really) More Googling, and I settled on 3 pound high resilience foam. It was a little bit tricky figuring out how much we needed because nothing is rectangular on a monohull sailboat. Every cushion is a strange shape with beveled edges that needs to be cut with precision. This stuff is not cheap, so I had to figure out how to buy enough with a little bit of room for errors, but not so much extra that I’m wasting $100 bucks worth of foam. Hence my super scientific calculations.
Step 3 – Wait…for three weeks
I thought ordering from the Foam Fast section meant I would get my foam. Fast. Not so. It took over three weeks to arrive and only after I started calling and emailing and harassing them. It finally arrived, all compressed and wrapped tightly in a 46 pound black plastic garbage bag. The folks at the marina were taking bets on what the heck was in this mysterious package. The reality was less interesting than their guesses for sure.
Step 4 – Cut the foam and stuff the upholstery
The perfect tool for cutting foam is a cheap electric knife from Walmart. However, when you buy the very cheapest one, there’s a good chance it will be broken right out of the box and delay your project further until you can exchange it. Oops. Capt. Mike proved to be just as competent with an electric knife as with an electric drill, and he managed to make it all fit with just the smallest bit of scrap left over. A bit of 3M spray adhesive to connect oddly shaped foam pieces together, and to make the surface tacky. A wrap of polyester Dacron batting to allow for some ventilation and to ensure the foam shapes completely fill the cover. And zip the cover back together, and you’re good to go! Except for the zippers that were too corroded by sea water to function. Those had to be removed using a seam ripper, and will be replaced by Velcro the next time we have access to a sewing machine. No boat project ever goes completely to plan. But we’ve tested them out now for over a week and these cushions now feel good as new!
7 thoughts on “Boat Project #1 – Updating the Salon Cushions”
Seems I may have replied to your first email too soon as this explains the cushion impact and amount of work to get it right. The photo of Mike ejecting the dirty water to the toilet says more than 1000 words.
Isn’t that awful! We had that much sorry water at least three times! I feel much better sitting on the new and improved cushions!
Ugh!! But, kudos, because they look really good! I hope they are super comfy and stay dry! Xo Gidge
We hope so too!!!!!
I enjoyed your post and are proud of you getting the job done right. No small task after viewing your diagram and the finished cushions look great.
David Pulver. President of Upholstery Decor Inc.
Founder at FoamOnline.Com
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for giving us props on our big project! The new-and-improved salon cushions worked great this whole season!
I see you don’t monetize floatsourboat.com, don’t waste your traffic,
you can earn additional cash every month with new monetization method.
This is the best adsense alternative for any type of
website (they approve all websites), for more details simply search in gooogle: